Advanced dental techniques now provide consumers with exciting, new options for enhancing their smiles. Revolutionary methods are now available for whitening teeth to make smiles sparkle!
Teeth whitening lightens the color of teeth whether darkened from age, coffee, tea, or tobacco. Its brightening effects can last up to five years after the treatment depending on your personal habits, such as smoking or drinking coffee or tea.
Is Whitening Right for You?
Teeth whitening has a higher than 90% success rate. It is tough on stains but gentle on your teeth! Results vary depending on several factors such as teeth stained from smoking; from taking certain medications such as tetracycline during tooth development; or from fluorosis, a condition occurring in the presence of too much fluoride.
Whtiening will not lighten new fillings or artificial materials used in dental repair as for crowns, porcelain veneers, etc.
Several Options Available
Depending on the whitening treatment selected, some are performed in the dental office using an in-office whitening system. The same results may be obtained through dentist-supervised at-home whitening, but take longer to achieve. Some systems, which whiten your teeth while you sleep, work in 5 to 10 days (or more accurately nights). Others take minutes to whiten in the chair and continue to whiten after you leave.
Also it's important to know that certain types of stain respond better to different types of whitening materials. In such cases, Dr. Johnson may recommend one method over the other.
The Steps to a Bright Smile
- Johnson will first examine your teeth and gums and discuss the procedure best suited to your individual needs. Any cavities or gum problems must be treated before bleaching can begin.
- The in-office method generally takes 15 minutes and results in a noticeable change that day.
- For the at-home method, special molds will be made of your teeth, used to make custom-fitting flexible trays holding the whitening gel comfortably in your mouth.
- When you get your whitening trays, you'll receive instructions about wearing them. These must be carefully followed. Only the materials provided by the dentist can be safely used.
- Your teeth will radiate a bright new look!
Research over the last five years has proven bleaching to be both safe and effective. The American Dental Association's seal of approval has been given to a wide range of tooth whitening products. Generally the only side effect from treatment may be some sensitivity to hot and cold foods. If this occurs, sensitivity normally disappears within 48 hours.